Sunday 10 August 2014

DIY kimono

Recently I've been loving kimonos, and I've been dying to try and make one. I've kept this tutorial cheap and easy. Ask me if you have any problems.
You will need 
  • a large shirt (one that's too big for you I used a large mens tshirt)
  • scissors
  • sewing kit or glue gun 
  • bobbled edging/trim (you should be able to find this in any craft or fabric shop)  

Lay your shirt out flat

mark the areas you want to cut out. I wanted to get rid of the collar because I thought it would look better.
 cut out your marked sections.
 mark how short you want your sleeves, I cut mine quite short but you can keep yours long.
 cut off your sleeves. I always cut my sleeves a little longer than I want them, just in case I make a mistake. You can always trim them later on
Next pull the edges you have cut so the curl. They'll just look a lot better than if you just leave them
Finally you need to attach the bobble fringe to the bottom hem of your kimono. I sewed mine on but you can use a glue gun to attach your fringe on if your not a big fan of sewing.

And your kimono should look something like this! I love how this turned out. You can use the bobble trimming on the sleeves to, I was just feeling a bit lazy tbh.
my finished kimono ft. my feet

No comments:

Post a Comment